Wagon Wheel Western BBQ Mac & Cheese Pairing: 2017 Petit Barone
Active: 30 MINS
Total Time: 1 HR 5 MINS
Unsalted butter, for buttering the baking dish
1 pound wagon wheel pasta
Two 12-ounce cans evaporated milk
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
8 ounces sharp Cheddar, freshly grated (2 cups)
8 ounces foil-wrapped shelf-stable cheese such as Velveeta, grated or cubed (2 cups)
2 teaspoons cornstarch
6 ounces smoked mozzarella, shredded
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
One 8-ounce bag kettle-cooked barbecue flavored potato chips, crushed fine
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and season with a generous amount of salt. Boil the pasta until al dente, 2 to 3 minutes less than the package instructions.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot over medium heat, add the evaporated milk and Dijon and whisk together. Bring to a simmer. Toss the Cheddar, shelf-stable cheese and cornstarch together in a bowl until totally coated. Stir into the sauce cheese and heat, stirring constantly, until the cheese is melted and the sauce is silky and smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Drain the pasta, then add to the cheese sauce and stir to coat. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle an even layer of the mozzarella over the top. Drizzle the barbecue sauce over the cheese, and top with a thick layer of crumbled potato chips.
- Bake, uncovered, until gooey and bubbling, 30 to 35 minutes. Serve hot.
Recipe Credit: foodnetwork