GASTROPUB CAB & BLUE CHEESE BURGER Pairing: 2015 Wahluke Slope Cabernet Sauvignon
2 lbs ground beef
3 cloves fresh garlic, mashed
1 teaspoon garlic salt
½ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
8 slices center cut applewood smoked bacon
2oz Gruyere cheese, fresh grated
1 oz blue cheese
2 oz white cheddar cheese, fresh grated
1 oz Muenster cheese, thin sliced
Fresh chives, chopped
Red leaf lettuce, leaves separated
Cabernet caramelized onions (see recipe)
4 brioche buns, sliced (you can also use Kaiser or onion rolls)
- Using your hands, lightly mix beef with garlic salt, pepper and fresh mashed garlic cloves. Don’t over mix.
- Form into ½ lb. beef patties. Using a spoon, make a hole in the center of the patty about half way down.
- Using a small, clean soda or beer can, insert in the hole at the center of the patty and form beef around it. This will create a deep well to place the cheese.
- Wrap 2 slices of bacon around the patty and secure with toothpick.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 for remaining patties.
- Place formed patties on tray and refrigerate for 1 hour to set.
- Mix gruyere, blue cheese and cheddar with chives in a small bowl and set aside in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Heat grill to 400-500 degrees. Don’t forget to lightly brush grates with oil. OR you can use cast iron skillet or grill skillet on your stove.
- Grill or sear burger patties for 4 minutes, turn and sear on other side for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add cheese mixture and top with slice of Muenster cheese.
- Return to heat and cook for 4-5 minutes (for medium rare) or to desired doneness.
- Remove from heat, place red leaf lettuce on bottom of roll, place burger patty on top, then top with a heaping spoonful of Cabernet caramelized onions.
- Don’t forget to remove the toothpicks from the bacon in each patty.
Recipe credit: goepicurista.com