Creole Seafood Jambalaya Pairing: 2022 Rosé of Cabernet Franc
Prep time: 25 mins
Active time: 1 hr 20 mins
Total time: 1 hr 45 mins
1/2 lb. bacon, diced
1 lb. fresh pork sausage, casings removed
1/2 lb. andouille sausage, diced
3 Tbsp. lard
4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
Freshly ground black pepper
1 large onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
3 celery ribs, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups converted white rice
1 tsp. dried thyme
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 Tbsp. pimentón de la Vera or smoked paprika
1 tsp. ground red pepper
1 Tbsp. celery salt
1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
2 cups basic chicken stock
1 1/2 pounds raw Louisiana white shrimp or other wild American shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 bunch green onions, chopped
- Cook bacon, sausage, and chicken: Heat a large Dutch oven over high heat until hot, and then reduce heat to medium. (This will allow the heat to be uniform all over, preventing those little hot spots that are likely to burn.) Cook bacon, sausages, and lard in the hot pot, stirring slowly with a long wooden spoon, for 10 minutes.
- Season chicken thighs with kosher salt and black pepper. Add the chicken to pot, and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes or until chicken is brown.
- Add the Holy Trinity: Increase heat to medium-high. Add onion to pot, and cook about 15 minutes or until soft. Add bell pepper, celery, and garlic, and cook 5 minutes. Continue stirring occasionally so everything in the pot cooks evenly.
- Add spice, and begin to simmer: Add rice, thyme, bay leaves, pimentón, red pepper, and celery salt to pot, and cook, stirring often, 3 minutes.
- Increase heat to high, and add tomatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover pot, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add seafood, and cook until rice is fluffy: After the rice has simmered for 15 minutes, fold in the shrimp and green onions.
- Turn off the heat, and let everything continue to cook in the hot covered pot 10 more minutes. Remove the lid, fluff the jambalaya, and serve.
Recipe Credit: southernliving.com