Buddy’s Detroit Style Pizza PAIRING: 2016 Petit Barone
PREP: 30 MINS + DOUGH RISING
BAKE: 10-15 MINS
1 teaspoon fresh or active dry yeast
2½ cups bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
Vegetable or soybean oil
35 slices spicy Margherita-style pepperoni
12 ounces Wisconsin Brick cheese or mild Cheddar, shredded
1-1¼ cup pizza sauce
- In bowl of stand mixer with dough hook attachment, combine yeast and 1 cup warm water (85˚–90˚F) until fully incorporated, then add flour and salt. Mix on low until fully combined. Knead on medium speed for 6–8 minutes, or until dough starts to pull away from bowl. It should be firm, but still tacky.
- Place dough ball in a 9 x 13 dark metal baking pan. Dip fingers from both hands in oil up to first knuckle. Coat dough ball with oil and press flat. Flip ball over and stretch out in rounded football shape toward edges, making sure it’s flat and even. Let dough rest 10–15 minutes. Push dough to pan edges, making sure it’s flat without raised sides. Using thumb, press dough into corners.
- Place pepperoni slices in rows atop dough. Move topped dough to warm area and cover with dry towel for 1½–2 hours, or until it doubles in size.
- Heat oven to 450˚F. Add cheese evenly to reach sides and corners. Add any additional toppings, if desired. Top with three even stripes of sauce. Keep sauce approximately ½ inch from edges.
- Bake approximately 15–17 minutes, or until crust is browned and cheese is melted. Cooking time can vary depending upon your oven. Serves 4–6.
Meat Deluxe: spicy Italian sausage, ground beef, bacon and ham
Artichokes, capers, roasted tomatoes and spinach cream sauce
Red onion, bacon and blue cheese
Kalamata olives and roasted red peppers
Recipe credit: wineenthusiast.com